In Northern Cyprus, driving is on the left hand side, just like in UK. Driving is the most common way of transport in North Cyprus as the bus and shuttle services to many of the remote areas of the country are infrequent, and are not operate after 05.00 pm. The conditions of the road goes better every year. The roads between major towns and villages are good in most part, but a few mountain and village roads are still not paved so special care should be taken in rainy weathers. Generally most tourists choose to rent a car in northern Cyprus to feel free to explore the island. Traffic and road signs are international. The speed limits changes between 50 to 65 km in the cities and 100 km on the four lane motorways between the major towns. Please pay attention to speed limits as there are speed cameras at most part of North Cyprus.
Visitors in North Cyprus can drive using a valid international driving license or a valid aboard will need to purchase insurance upon entry into Northern Cyprus. Most petrol stations are open from 7 am and close around 8 pm. Some however ,stay open later and there is an increasing number of stations which operate 24 hours a day. Municipal parking is available in all major towns. Seat belts are compulsory. Drink and drive is strictly prohibited as you are completely out of insurance.
If you are unfortunate enough to have an accident, do not attempt to move your vehicle to clear the road. You should leave the car where the accident occurred and wait in a safe place until the police arrive. This is so the police can take measurements and make an assessment for insurance process.
In Summary, like in all other countries in Northern Cyprus driving rules and traffic regulations that you should bear in mind whether you rent a car in North Cyprus ;
- You will need to have a valid driver's licence from your country of residence.
- Foreign driver's licenses are valid only for three months from entering Northern Cyprus.
- There are highway speed limits set at 100km/h and 65 to 60 km/h.
- Speed limits are enforced by radar devices and cameras.
- Front seat passengers must wear seatbelts.
- Children are not allowed to sit in the front passenger seat.
- The using of a cell (mobile) phone while driving is not allowed.
- Drinking and driving is not allowed.
- It is not allowed to take rentals car to the South of the island (South Cyprus, over the green line).
- North Cyprus car hire companies require you to be at least 25 year old in order to rent a car.